Saturday, August 23, 2008

911 Call
I have never experienced what I experienced this evening. It is 2:45 in the morning and I am trying to stay awake the whole night so that is why I am blogging. My husband wasn't feeling really well early in the day and he had a head cold and a few other symptoms so he took Day Quill and it helped a little. Then around 9:00 tonight he was still in lots of pain and so he took hydrocodone which was in liquid form. On the bottle it says to take 3 teaspoon fulls every 4 hours as needed. He accidentally took 3 table spoons 6 times in one setting. It was dark when he took it and when he grabbed the teaspoon/tablespoons(which are black) he thought he had taken the right amount and thought he had the 1/2 teaspoon and that is why he accidently took too much. Right after he took it he blacked out on the kitchen floor and then went and laid on the bed. I didn't realize he had blacked out, but thank goodness he was ok....so we thought. The only reason why I even realized he had taken too much is when I went to put the tablespoons in the dishwasher I said oh my gosh Joshua which spoon full did you take! I then realized which one it was and that's when I was worried. He was concerend and started drinking lots of water hoping to wash the fluids out. During this time we were watching the Olympics, the girls were in bed, and I eventually fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 1:00am and Joshua was up. I was getting ready to go to sleep on the bed and didn't feel that I should so I stayed up and Joshua said could you call the poison control to make sure I will be fine and so I did. Well during this time when I was on the phone at 1:20 Joshua went to the bathroom( I didn't know where he was) and the lady on the phone was asking me questions. Then all of a sudden I heard a huge thump and YELLED Joshua where are you and when I went running into the bathroom I saw him flat on his face with blood coming out of his mouth, nose and he was very pale and I screamed and told the lady on the phone I have to call 911 help me please so I grabbed my other cell phone and called 911(as I had the poison control lady calling 911 as well) and talked to the operator explained what happened as she was trying to calm me down. Joshua wasn't alert at the time but when I screamed he woke up, and did get up and then fell to the family room floor. The 911 operator said don't let him move, don't have him grab his nose...etc. The 1st to arrive was the police officer and he asked lots of questions, and then the paramedics/fire dept. arrived and took all Joshua's vital signs and he was extremely pale. After evaluating him they said that they could take him to the hospital and be monitored throughout the night or I could stay up and monitor him. The reason being that his color did start coming back as they were here and overall his vital signs were good. The fire dept guy called the poison control and did speak with ER doctor and explained what was going on. The paramedic did say that everyone's body reacts differently when you take too much medication and now we know what happens:(. It was very emotional for me to see my husband lying on the bathroom floor with blood coming out of his nose and mouth. It looks like what happened is he was going to the bathroom when he passed out and fell onto the floor and hit his head and nose somewhere in the bathroom as he fell. The side of his face is swollen/bruised, his nose is cut and his lip is cut from when he fell. I will NEVER forget the sight I saw tonight and count my blessings that I was awake and alert when all of this happened. I know that we were being watched over and our family was comforted during this time. I love my husband and pray that he will continue to get well and that we wont experience what we did this early morning. We both feel extremely blessed to have each other and are thankful that he was watched over and protected through this time. For those of you who know me know that I don't wake up for anything and so that is why I feel very grateful and blessed that I was alert and had woken up to be here for my husband.

13 comments:

lrbodine said...

Oh my goodness Amy! What a scary night for you and Josh. I'm so glad you were awake and listened to the spirit. I hope everything is better today but let me know if you need anything!

Castle Family said...

What a scary experience!! I'm so glad it has a good ending.

Nelson, Ashley, Brady & Kodi said...

I am so glad he is doing better! It was so sad to see his face all banged up! Poor guy...and poor you for missing the P.P. fair! We did miss you and your family will definitely continue to be in our thoughts and prayers!

Sarah W. said...

What a scary night! So glad you were coherent and able to help him. I think I will be on the look out for glow in the dark measuring spoons!

carol said...

wow that was the most intense post I have ever read. I cant believe that. I hate when husbands get sick, i get all worried and stuff and now after you have expierenced this, I am sure you will think about this every time he gets sick and worry. I am so glad that he is ok and I am so glad you were awake to help him. You're like a little detective as you clean the measuring spoons and figure out that he used the wrong one. If you guys need anything please let me know. I am glad your girls didnt see him bleeding, good thing they were sleeping.

Lopez-kids said...

Holy cow! How scary! I am so glad he is okay! I am surprised he was awake that late at night. It soudns like things could have been much worse, but I know that you guys definitely deserve some being watched over. I hae done the mix-up withthe teaspoon and tablespoon too, but luckily it was antibiotics so there was no harm done. So scary when you do it with narcotics! I am glad everything turned out okay. Tell Joshua I am glad he is okay and to make sure he rests up to get rid of his cold!

Kristin said...

Hey Amy... I don't even know how I found you but I thought I'ld say Hi. Your life looks to be crazy like mine. (except for the sick husband, that would have totally freaked me out. I hope he is doing better.)-Kristin McKeon (Turner)

Lyman Family said...

Wow I can't even imagine. I am so glad he is OK. You are a great wife to stay up a notice things I would have been sleeping and not have noticed any thing.

Bri, Lanny, Ben, Jeff and Lukey said...

so glad everything is okay and that you had the pressence of mind to stay up. hope the rest of the week is a little less eventful. hope you both fell better soon.

The Welker Family said...

How scary Ames! I can't believe that you woke up because you are a log when you sleep. I got a minute to catch up afterthe last month where I haven't looked at a computer. I love Mariyah's school pictures and especially the one running accross the bridge with the bus in the background. That gym place that you went is exactly like the one here that we went to. You'll see a post on my blog when I get around to it.

the Painters said...

I'm so sorry honey that is sooooo scary! What a blessing he is ok. I cannot believe what happened....you must have been so scared. I love you and I know it's been a few days but sweetie, I'm sure you are still on edge and I will be praying for you and Joshua.

Amber Omer said...

Yikes! How very scary! I'm so glad he's going to be ok. What a miracle!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

WOW! THat is SO scary!! Sounds like you handled it well. I don't do well in emergencies.

Your girls sure are darling. They look like they could be twins in your header pics!

So funny about Mariyah falling asleep. Caitlyn doesn't need much sleep either (or won't)...I guess school will do it?! Bless her heart.

Hope everyone is doing well!